Hey Southwest Minnesota Teachers! I loved hanging out with you today! Remember to follow through on my 24 hour challenge to you. Get off the Escalator and Do Something! I can’t wait to hear what new amazing things you learn, do and see. If I missed something you were hoping to see here Tweet me @saravdwerf or email me at email@example.com. Until next time…
1. Keynote Resources
- Keynote Powerpoint. Be sure to check out the notes below slides to find links to the resources I shared with you. Please use anything you find and call it your own. Get off the escalator! SW Math Conf Keynote 2
- Here is a collection of my favorite people to follow on Twitter (current as of May 2015 – I’ll update soon) who_sara_sonja_follow_on_twitter
- Check out who MTBoS says you should follow…Click here!
- Article I wrote for MCTM MathBits on Getting Off the Escalator 1.1.2016 Teaching
- Keynote cover sheet with my contact info Get off the Escalator
- Something I found for you Elementary peeps when I was preparing. GREAT, GREAT stuff. AlwaysSometimesNeverElementary
- Links – Click away… Get off the Escalator Video Beagle getting a Chicken McNugget Video Backwards Bike Video MTBoS Search Engine (where I find my lesson stuff).
- This video is the best 5 minutes of Math PD you will get all year. Watch Annie Fetter’s video NOW! Really, do it now.
2. Desmos Breakout Session
- Word Doc with all the links I shared today. Open and Click away. desmos 201 Links
- My powerpoint (sorry, it needs to be a pdf) Desmos Traning 1.13.16
- Desmos Training Guide Desmos_User_Guide
- Desmos maze This is a paper version of what you can do on Desmos here (don’t forget to Sign-In and save this link)
- Volume of a Rectangular Prism I showed you.
So, let me reiterate what I told you today. DESMOS is a game changer. It is an EQUITY closer. It provides access for all levels of students. If you teach math than you MUST, MUST – it is your duty – to learn about and use this tool. It is amazing. I am a Desmos Evangelist. Amen.
3. Number Talk Breakout Session
- Powerpoint and all the fun stuff Number Talk Slides for SW Math Conf
- Number Talk Handout with Book Recommendations Number Talks for the Secondary Classroom
- Fawn Nguyen’s Visual Pattern Site
- A bunch of Fawn’s stuff I’ve created into Number Talks Visual Pattern Number Talk Flip Chart
- Making Number Talks Matter Cheat Sheet (this is incomplete, but I will finish someday soon – like summer soon)
Bonus: Many of you asked for my MCA resources…. (CLICK) here are some of the resources I posted previously. Use as you like.
That’s all guys! Again, Let me know if I am missing anything you hoped to see here. I loved meeting and spending time with you. I am passionate about creating vibrant communities of math teachers both in person and in virtually. Stay in touch via Twitter. Tweet me @Saravdwerf. I also hope to see you in Duluth at the MCTM conference.